Friday, July 18, 2008

Bonen no Xamdou: First Look!

Let me begin by saying I am a mega-huge fan of the BONES animation studio. In my mind, they have been constantly been delivering some of the best anime to date, and they are breaking ground in amazing and engaging sci-fi series. So, imagine my enthusiasm when I heard they were putting out a new series! With character designs like those in Eureka Seven (which is one of my favourite shows), robots, mysterious girls, possible explosions... Well. I nearly wet my pants. As of now, I can't wait for episode two!!

Bonen no Xamdou (or Xam'd: Lost Memories) is a feast of heavenly proportions for me. Everything about it is stunning, interesting. The animation is slick, in my preferred style and design. The story struck a chord with me right off of the bat. It left me desiring more. Desperately desiring.

The story goes like this. (And, because I feel lazy and my stomach is full of Subway, big thanks to MAL for the synopsis.) "Sentan Island is a small island surrounded by the Yuden Sea. It exists in a state of dreamlike tranquility, cut off from the war between the Northern Government and the Southern Continent Free Zone. Our hero, Akiyuki Takehara, lives on Sentain Island along with his mother Fusa. He is currently separated from his father, the town doctor Ryuzo, but the bond between father and son remains. One day, after taking Ryuzo the lunch that Fusa has made for him as usual, Akiyuki arrives at school, where he is caught up in an explosion along with his friends, Haru and Furuichi. The explosion produces a mysterious light, which enters Akiyuki's arm, causing him excruciating pain. He's given no time to understand it, however, as the white-haired girl who rode on the bus with him guides him to a power unlike anything he's ever known." It will apparently be twenty-six episodes long, which is a little bit of a shame. And yet... I'm in love!

The opening and ending animation has English themes playing along with it, which I find an interesting touch. Basic rock with guitar melody, a techno grove, echoing singing that makes your foot tap and makes you want to wave you r hands in the air, wave a cigarette lighter, or break out your rave gear. It's already making my head bob. The music playing during scenes instantly stole my heart away. Time to start hoarding money again for another soundtrack...

I am so ecstatic and excited for Xam'd. It has great potential to be one of the best shows of the season, or maybe the year, and I will be along with it every step of the way. I have the feeling Bandai Entertainment will want to pick it up... And I will buy it if things keep going this strongly. Totally.

So, if you are interested, well... America is getting this series two months before Japan. Go download it on your Sony PlayStation in high definition for $3.75, or standard quality for $2.82. It is reportedly the most-downloaded item on the American Sony store so far! It has Japanese audio and English subs.

I highly recommend this. Very highly. Uber-high. Go buy it now. Please.

Miss M ;D

3 comments:

  1. This show can not possibly take the title "best of the year". The competition is just too high. This show has competition on the level of GOLGO 13! Because the top dog is GOLGO 13. Not to mention that a NEW Fist of the North Star series starring Raoh (Kenshiro's Kung-Fu Brother) that will be coming out later.

    While this show may have potential to be good, the chances of it being the best is next to impossible. If Golgo doesn't take the best, Fist of the North Star will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I say a show will take something, it will take it.

    *lightning flashes, thunder booms in the distance*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite as rabid a BONES fan as your are, but this series has caught my interest.

    ReplyDelete